POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow : Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow
From: Mike Williams
Date: 20 Dec 2003 23:54:00
Message: <2sWFHEA$bS5$EwIK@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Another Micheal (Mike) Williams who wrote:

>Now a question of my own. Smooth_triangles and 3 norms. Do other programs
>use Norms at the vertex or is POVRay unique in this aspect. Lightwave seems
>to calculate based on a center norm. I have seen where Lightwave fails and
>POVRay triumphs because of this difference.

I notice that the OBJ file format associates normals with vertices, so
any program that uses OBJ files, or any format that's interconvertible
with OBJ format, would have normals at the vertices.

I don't see how centre normals could work. Surely the normals at the
centres of the triangles of an icosahedron are exactly the same as the
normals of a sphere based on the same triangles.

--
Mike Williams
(A different one)